ENGLAND – An online food blogger whose blog launched a year ago and which has since become a popular source for news and recipes was awarded $8 million in a lawsuit against rival online food marketplace Monopoly in Spain.
Lawyers for Daniel Ceballos, the blogger who set up the site for the first time, said the lawsuit, filed on Tuesday in Madrid, was the largest online defamation suit in Spain since the court opened an investigation in 2012 into the publication of a fake book alleging that a woman had been raped.
Ceballes’ lawyer, Josep Moya, said in a statement the decision to sue Monopoly was based on the fact that Monopoly is the only company that owns the “right to publish” the libelous article, and that the court has already ruled on similar cases in other countries.
He said the decision against Monopoly had been made without the support of the courts and therefore could not be appealed.
Moya said he hoped the suit would provide a deterrent to other people in the Spanish food blogging community who might try to launch similar sites.
The lawsuit alleges that Ceballs blog, which had only been launched last year, was published without the author’s permission and was published with the intention of hurting his reputation.”
But it is also the right of the public to verify information in their own newspapers and blogs.”
The lawsuit alleges that Ceballs blog, which had only been launched last year, was published without the author’s permission and was published with the intention of hurting his reputation.
Caballes is the founder of the blog, Monopoly, and is known for his posts about the food industry.
He was an outspoken critic of the food and farming industries in the U.S. during the 2016 election campaign.